Cow Mountain 9/29-10/01

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      Greetings Mendobirders: For the last 3 mornings I have birded with Jennifer
      Potts in the chaparral fields on the upper ridges of South Cow Mountain in
      both Lake and Mendocino counties. The weather up there early in the
      morning has been delightful- bright and sunny, looking down on the sea of
      fog in the Ukiah Valley- and there were lots of CALIFORNIA THRASHERS and
      SAGE SPARROWS singing. We did not see anything really rare, but a number
      of uncommon birds of local interest. On the 29th we watched ~110 GREATER
      WHITE-FRONTED GEESE fly W to E over the valley and Cow Mountain directly
      toward Clear Lake. All 3 mornings we saw numbers of VAUX'S SWIFTS flying S
      mixed in with hundreds of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS. We saw several HAIRY
      WOODPECKERS and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES in both counties. This morning we
      watched an oddly out-of-place ROCK WREN working along a fire trail in some
      recently burned chamise. Today we also saw 3 VARIED THRUSHES, the first
      inland birds in Mendocino county this fall, and a single TOWNSEND'S WARLBER
      which is the first we have seen up there in the brush in nearly 3 years of
      monitoring. We saw a real array of FOX SPARROWS, many of them
      singing. There were primarily Sooty types, but also lots of Thick-billeds,
      some Slate-coloreds, and a single very large, very dark Sooty type that I
      have never seen before. On Monday the 27th, I saw a pair (m,f) of
      LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES at HREC.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive