Weekend Coastal Highlights

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2004
      This past weekend (Sept 25-28) Larry Siemens, Stan Snyder, Floyd Hayes,
      Paul Hawks and I birded the Mendo coast from Miner Hole Rd to Lake
      Cleone. Highlight of the weekend was two WHITE-FACED IBIS at Garcia
      Flats on Sun Sept 26. The birds were at the south end of the straight
      stretch of Hwy 1 going south from the bridge over the Garcia River (in
      the wet area on the east side of the road). We watched and photographed
      the birds for about 10 minutes before they flew further east into the
      Flats and landed in deep grass out of sight.

      Additional highlights were two PECTORAL SANDPIPERS at Virgin Creek
      Beach on the 26th and 27th (a single bird was present on the 25th).
      There were also two early FERRUGINOUS HAWKS in the fields along Hwy 1
      between Manchester and Irish Beach on the 26th.

      Local birds of interest included MARBLED GODWIT at Virgin Creek Beach
      on the 26th and 27th. Also at Virgin Creek Beach was a RUDDY TURNSTONE
      on the 25th, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS on the 26th, and an early RED-NECKED
      GREBE on the 25th and 27th. On the 25th there were six GRAY JAYS in the
      upper campground at Van Damme and on the 26th there were two EURASIAN
      COLLARED-DOVES on the wires along Duxbury Ln.

      Good Birding.
      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA