Burris Lane 9/22

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2004
      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 -- On my jog this morning on Burris Lane there was a
      bustle of fall bird activity. On the pond were some NORTHERN SHOVELERS,
      AMERICAN WIGEON, a WILSON'S SNIPE, and a GREATER YELLOWLEGS. In the rocky
      grassland to the north a PRAIRIE FALCON was hunting meadowlarks and
      starlings. Western Meadowlarks themselves have recently increased in
      numbers and begun singing again. A BURROWING OWL was sitting out on a rock
      near where I reported one last year, and it was being 'mobbed' by a single
      SAY'S PHOEBE. Further down on the lane White-crowned Sparrows (including
      Gambell's), Golden-crowned Sparrows, and Say's Phoebes were back in
      numbers, and in some blackberries I found a single COMMON YELLOWTHROAT -
      unusual in Potter Valley.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA