Three Rail Morning

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2004
      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 -- I birded the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this morning
      from 8:00-10:00. They have been adding water to the middle pond for several
      weeks now, and there is water under a good growth of knotweed and dock -
      good rail habitat. I got good looks at two SORAS and one VIRGINIA RAIL
      standing in the open for a long time. I heard others calling and heard some
      mystery rail sounds that have never been able to pin down. The third rail
      was the Great Black Rail, aka AMERICAN COOT. Out of 145 I only saw two
      juveniles - a very poor year for coot production at the ponds. There was a
      good bit of warbler activity in the fennel along the back fence and at some
      grapes on the fence behind the cattails - mostly Yellow Warblers.
      At Lake Mendocino yesterday there were some newly arrived migrants:
      a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE at the south marina and some AMERICAN PIPITS
      near the mesa.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA