RE: [CALBIRDS] Hum Co, Crested Caracara 9/4/04

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      I want to respectfully disagree with Brian's assessment of this being a
      juvenile Caracara. The bird clearly had two generations of feathers, with
      old worn wing coverts being replaced by newer feathers, indicating an age of
      at least one year. Also, the legs were bright yellow, the face was bright
      orange/pink and the lower chest was barred and not streaked. I believe that
      this is an adult.

      Thanks for refinding it Brian, we all felt bad when Sean and Amber walked up
      as we saw the last dot of it disappearing to the north!

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
      Fax 839-0867
      Mad River Biologists
      1497 Central Avenue