Hawk Talk Slideshow/Lecture

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      HAWK TALK!

      "Kli kli kli kli kli!"

      These cries may emanate from the Public Room at the Grace Hudson Museum on the evening of Thursday, September 16. Acclaimed raptor expert Alida Morzenti will bring a live American kestrel to her slideshow/lecture on hawks, eagles, falcons, accipiters, and kites. The kestrel, which is a kind of falcon, is from Santa Rosa's Bird Rescue Center, which treats injured and orphaned raptors. The presentation is sponsored by the Peregrine Audubon Society of Ukiah and free to the public. It will begin at 7 p.m.

      Members of the coast Audubon Chapter who heard Ms. Morzenti speak last fall raved about her fun and entertaining delivery and her vast fund of knowledge. She illustrates her presentation with many stories and personal experiences. She will focus on raptors of northern California.

      Popularly known for their strength, fierceness, and aerial agility, raptors have fascinated and inspired people for millennia. Autumn is one of the best times to view these birds on the north coast, as they migrate south along an age-old route in an impressive and large-scale exodus.

      Two days after Ms. Morzenti's talk, on Saturday, September 18, Peregrine Audubon will lead a field trip to Hawk Hill on the Marin Headlands to observe this annual raptor migration. Members of the public are invited. For more information please see the Community Calendar next Thursday, September 16, or Friday, September 17 or call 467-1341.

      Alida Morzenti helped start the Raptor Center at UC Davis in 1972, and directed it until 1980. She assisted in establishing the Bird Rescue Center in Santa Rosa at its present location in 1980, and currently volunteers there. For many years she worked closely with the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory on the Marin Headlands. She taught Avian Sciences (raptor classes and a bird introductory course) at UC Davis and, along with her students, worked with captive raptors and conducted population surveys of the Davis area for 15 years. Her book on captive raptor management is currently under revision.

      Please join us for what is sure to be a fascinating presentation! For people who have enjoyed our presentations in the past, please note that the day, time, and the place of our meetings have changed. We now meet Thursdays instead of Tuesdays, at 7 p.m. instead of 7:30; and the new location for our monthly meetings is the Public Room at the Grace Hudson Museum, 431 South Main St., Ukiah.

      Submitted by Kate Marianchild