Coast birds 8/29

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2004
      Greetings Mendobirders: Matthew Matthiessen and I headed over to the coast
      today hoping to get a head-start on migrating passerines. Well, we pretty
      much struck out there, but did see a number of birds of local interest
      between Point Arena and Virgin Creek Beach. On the way over we saw a Blue
      Grouse on the side of Mountainview Road. When we hit Hwy 1, we decided to
      head straight to the Thompson's on Duxbury to look the the Eurasian
      Collared -Doves which have been reported there occasionally since
      June. The original 2 birds have grown to 5, so they successfully bred
      and/or have invited friends in. We then went to the Point Arena
      Lighthouse. To our surprise and delight, all of the fields along the
      access road are now open as part of the Stornetta conservation easement
      purchase. We birded the row of cypress trees on the way in (zilch). We
      walked from the Lighthouse outer parking area to the bluffs on the S side
      of the Garcia and scoped right down on the island there. Here among
      hundreds of peeps we saw 6 American Avocets, a Ruddy Turnstone, and a
      Red-necked Phalarope. Heading N we birded Miner Hole Road (nada), stopped
      at Alder Creek (juv. Black-crowned Night-Heron), Van Damme (juv.
      Ring-billed Gull), and Casper Creek (nothing). Our final stop was Virgin
      Creek Beach where we saw 2 more Ruddy Turnstones, 5 Harlequin Ducks (all
      males in basic plumage), 10 Marbled Godwits (an unusually high number for
      MEN?), and a juv. Red Knot (the bird of the day). Nothing spectacular, but
      we had a good day with lots of birds.

      Chuck