Caracara

  • Kabe83@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2004
      The Crested Caracara was present when I arrived at marker 79.75 north of
      Westport at 2:10 Tuesday the 24th. It was feeding on the carcass but quickly
      lifted with several Turkey Vultures, circled a couple of times, then took off in
      the direction of the ridge. I waited for about 2 hours, but it didn't return.
      Sorry for the late posting.
      Good birding
      Karen Peterson
      Berkeley, CA

    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2004
        As noted that was on the 24th (noted apology, too, *smile*).

        I wonder if anyone has seen it since Tuesday?

        Again, as stated, it wasn't present Wed morning, which isn't suggesting that
        it wouldn't have been later in the day.

        I suppose someone should (if they would) drive up later in the afternoon
        than I went? Seems to me the bird is often seen around 2 - 4 PM. Ah, maybe
        tomorrow I will get a chance to drive up. . .later in the afternoon. . .

        Feather

        > The Crested Caracara was present when I arrived at marker 79.75 north of
        > Westport at 2:10 Tuesday the 24th. It was feeding on the carcass but
        quickly
        > lifted with several Turkey Vultures, circled a couple of times, then took
        off in
        > the direction of the ridge. I waited for about 2 hours, but it didn't
        return.
        > Sorry for the late posting.
        > Good birding
        > Karen Peterson
        > Berkeley, CA

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ruth Wiebe
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2004
          I went to take a took at noon yesterday. Was disappointed once again. There
          were two other ladies who had spend about 2 hours and I stayed about 1 hour.
          there was almost no bird activity on the deer carcass. I went about 3
          miles north of 79.75 searching and then continued to search south. There
          were several flocks of vultures feeding closer to Fort Bragg. Searched each
          face but no Caracara.

          Ruth Wiebe