Crested Caracara gone this afternoon from 5 until 6:30pm

  • Ruth Wiebe
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2004
      This afternoon late I searched the area starting just before Blue Slide
      north to about 11/2 miles past mile marker 79.5 for the Crested Caracara. I
      found a flock of Turkey Vultures including several juveniles eating the deer
      and perched in the tree near by. But I didn’t spot the Crested Caracara. I
      met another car load of birders from San Francisco area about 79.5 mile
      marker where the deer carcass was located. They had been searching for about
      1 ½ hours when we arrived. I searched Hwy 1 for about 1 ½ hours. There were
      several gatherings of Vultures spotted and searched each face to no avail.
      When I left the area south of Westport the other car was proceeding back
      north. I was disappointed but didn’t have near as far to travel as these
      other two fellows. There was plenty of deer meat left so my bet is that it
      will be a great feasting ground for many days. Hopefully I’ll get my change
      yet! Thanks to you all for the detail directions. It appears to me by the
      sighting locations on Hwy 1 that he is traversing about an 8 mile or more
      area. Ruth Wiebe.