996Crested Caracara

  • Jerry White
    Aug 22, 2004
      Around 2:30 PM today Nikki White and I found the bird in the area already described. Shortly after Toby Tobkin arrived. We watched the bird for over an hour. At about 4:10 PM the bird flew north. Dave Jensen's report describes the events following our last sighting.
      Additional information concerning the discovery of the bird may be of use to those who will be "chasing".
      I had a call from Bonnie Eagleton a Lake County resident . She saw the bird yesterday at about 2:30 P.M. while driving on highway 1 . At that time it was not far south of Westport in an area called Blue Slide feeding on carrion. This is between Chadbourne Gulch (a steep gulch with a small creek and an extensive riparian area) and Westport. Evidently it then moved north of Westport to its present location and has stayed in that area through today.

      Also this morning I found an Orchard Oriole in Westport. The bird was perched in a tree (there is a dilapidated shed right next to this tree) near the intersection of Hillcrest Terrace and Pelican Rd. It flew off and I could not relocate it. However at about 4:30 P.M. Toby Tobkin refound the bird in the same tree.

      Additionally at about 12:30 P.M. there was a fly-over White-winged Dove at the Mendocino Headlands. Jerry White