753Laguna Point - 11/1

  • Ron LeValley
    Nov 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      Charlene and I birded Laguna Point for a couple of hours this afternoon,
      hoping to see a lingering murrelet.

      No Murrelets were seen, but the weather and a few birds kept us entertained.

      Northern Fulmar - 25 (some in quite close)

      White-fronted Goose - 1 (this small bird has been at Lake Cleone for a long
      time, I'm not sure if it leaves?)

      Black Oystercatcher 22 (in one flock)

      Red Phalarope - 200+ (including some on Lake Cleone and many along the
      beach)

      Parasitic Jaeger - 1 (harassing a gull offshore)

      Cassin's Auklet - 3

      The best sighting of the day was a pod of about 30 Risso's Dolphins (Grampus
      griseus) that were about 1 mile due south of Laguna Point feeding for the
      whole time we were watching! We got great scope views and at one time had a
      Harbor Porpoise surface close to shore in the foreground of our scope view
      with the Grampus in the background!

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist

      <mailto:ron@...> ron@...

      707/839-0900