640Purple Martins

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Jul 3, 2003
      Wednesday, 02 July 2003, Bob Keiffer observed at least one pair of Purple
      Martin's utilizing the dead snag on the uphill (south) side of the
      Branscomb road at mm 0.5 (one'half mile from Highway 1). There were also
      at least two pair at the Juan Creek bridge at the north end of Highway 1
      before it leaves the coastline.

      At Juan Creek there were numerous 15-20) alcids out beyond the rocks. My
      first thought was that they were Marbled Murrelets but closer spotting scope
      inspections showed that there were adult Common Murres with juveniles
      (which look a lot like MAMUs). There may have actually been MAMU out there
      but I got tired of squinting my eyes through the scope and trying to find
      birds that were 5% on top of the water and 95% under the water
      feeding. The note here is.... be careful this time of year
      differentiating juvenile Common Murres from Marbled Murrelets.

      At Usal Beach there were 150 -200 Western Grebes with a few Clark's Grebes
      mixed in.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center