6298Eel River

  • George Chaniot
    Feb 15, 2014
      4-8 Aug 2014 -- This last week I have been working in the Mainstem Eel River
      visiting seven locations between Cape Horn Dam and Dos Rios. It was smoky
      and not very birdy most of the time, but I did see AMERICAN DIPPERS at three
      of the seven sites, all without public access. I also saw one CANYON WREN
      at a public access site along Route 162 near milepost 10.77 on Aug 7. There
      is a broad pullout on the river side of the road with a rocky riffle below.
      I saw the wren fly across the river landing on some rocks in midstream then
      continuing to the near bank where it disappeared into a group of rocks. I
      have seen Canyon Wren at this location once in past years - but not
      regularly. This is several miles upstream from the Dos Rios Bridge which
      has been a productive area in recent years.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic