6282Re: [Mendobirds] Lake County Barred Owls

  • George Chaniot
    Jul 26, 2014
      Re: [Mendobirds] Lake County Barred Owls In my post on the Lake County Barred Owls I inadvertently wrote 'Pine Mountain Road' for Elk Mountain Road in several places.  There is only one road referenced here, and it is called Elk Mountain Road.  The corrected version is copied below:

      George Chaniot

      Fri, 25 Jul 2014 --  This morning (following advice and directions from Jerry White and Dave Woodward) Steve Stump, George Gibbs, and I visited the Barred Owl location on Elk Mountain Road.  We were present from 05:00 to 05:26, all before civil twilight.  Almost immediately upon arriving we heard the begging calls of juvenile BARRED OWLS (two, possibly three).  Shortly they were joined by two adult owls which hooted loudly and very close-by.  It was a very exciting and moving encounter.  The owls could be seen in nearby trees moving against the predawn sky.
         To reach this location turn North off of Route 20 in Upper Lake and drive North on Elk Mountain Road.  In somewhat over 16 miles the pavement ends.  Continue for  about 5.8 miles to milemarker 22.43 on the right, and continue about 1/10th mile further to a small pullout on the right (east) side, or a little further to a large pullout on the left (west).  The owls could easily be heard from either of these locations. In the event that you should be arriving from the north end of Elk Mountain road, the location is about 2 miles from the end of the pavement.
         We spent most of the rest of the day birding in the Snow Mountain Wilderness Area along the trail from the Summit Springs Trailhead to Cedar Camp and back.  Olive-sided Flycatchers, Dusky and Hammond's Flycatchers, Rock Wren, Hermit Warblers, White-headed Woodpeckers, many others, and, alas, no Black-chinned Sparrows.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic