6257Clear Lake this week

  • Floyd Hayes
    Jul 18, 2014
      On Tuesday the 15th my companions and I saw the following birds while canoeing on Clear Lake: one MARBLED GODWIT, one WILLET, one SPOTTED SANDPIPER, one BONAPARTE'S GULL and three FORSTER'S TERNS at the mouth of Adobe Creek; one adult RING-BILLED GULL at Holiday Cove; and 11 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, four WILSON"S PHALAROPES and a juvenile RING-BILLED GULL (first juvenile I've seen at Clear Lake in summer).

      On Thursday the 17th we saw the following birds: one male CINNAMON TEAL, two juvenile CALIFORNIA GULLS (first of the season for me) and a PIED-BILLED GREBE standing on land(!) at Willow Point, Lakeport; and three adult RING-BILLED GULLS, seven juvenile CALIFORNIA GULLS and three BONAPARTE's GULLS at Adobe Creek (no shorebirds!).

      Nearly 3000 Aechmophorus grebe nests are scattered across the north end of Clear Lake, which is the most I've seen there while studying them the past five summers.

      Floyd Hayes
      Angwin, CA
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic