5626RE: [Mendobirds] Possible Blue Jay

  • Robert Keiffer
    May 16 2:35 PM
      There is one old Mendocino County BLUE JAY record, credible but unconfirmed, from Laytonville. It would be great if someone can look for this possible bird. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      From: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of brdnrd59
      Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:18 PM
      To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Mendobirds] Possible Blue Jay

      Two days ago at dusk, I heard what sounded like a BLJA across the street from 751 E. Hill Rd. in Willits. I wrote it off to exhaustion. At dawn this morning, well refreshed, I heard it again, initially just north of the Dripworks plant on Sanhedrin Circle and then at the original location. I've been unable to confirm it visually. There are mockingbirds in the area, but a NOMO in Willits mimicking a BLJA somehow seems even more unlikely than an actual BLJA. I hope others can get out there and look for it. Recorded calls might help. Traffic and construction noise are pretty bad, so very early morning would be best.

      Ken Burton
      Willits