5612Long-billed Curlew - Virgin Creek Beach -MEN

    May 4, 2013
      Sat, 4 May, 2013 --  I saw a LONG-BILLED CURLEW in the soft sand of the main beach
      with a nearby Whimbrel today at Virgin Creek beach.  There were many Sanderlings,
      and a few Black-bellied Plovers, Semipalmated Plovers, Black-bellied Plovers and  Western
      & Least Sandpipers.  Killdeer had 2-3 chicks near the creek, so be observant of them.  An
      Osprey began to hunt as I was about to leave.
      Virgin Creek beach (MacKerricher State Park) is accessed from either a large, parking area
      just south of Matson's & Kemgas, on N Hwy 1.  The official parking spot is just north of
      Matson's on the west side of Hwy 1.
      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca