5488Nashville Warbler at MCBG

  • Tim Bray
    Feb 20, 2013
      20 February 2013 (Wednesday) - On the regular third-Wednesday bird walk at
      the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, seven birders tallied 42 species in
      spite of the wind and cold. Best bird was a Nashville Warbler, foraging in
      the Grevillea bush near the vegetable gardens; it flew from there into a
      nearby flowering cherry tree, and then across the lawn, where we lost it.

      Three female/1st year Hooded Mergansers were a nice surprise on the pond
      just south of the Gardens.

      We also had great looks at two Brown Creepers, and a very brief look at a
      Merlin on the wing. Nice views of several Varied Thrushes and a couple of
      bright Townsend's Warblers as well.

      Signs of Spring included a Red-Shouldered Hawk carrying nesting material,
      and an Acorn Woodpecker peering out of a nest hole.

      Tim Bray
      Albion