      From: whzerd1 <whzerd@...>
      Subject: [Mendobirds] Big Al Behavior Conjecture
      To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, December 28, 2012, 8:33 AM

      While driving the 260 miles home after seeing my life Laysan Albatross I puzzled about the strange annual behavior. Here's my thoughts.

      Given that this is the breeding season at Midway (told to me by one of the others at the Pier) and that Albatross mate for life, it occurred to me that perhaps the mate for this bird was "lost" in this area of the ocean in their meanderings some decades ago. Then during the breeding season the mating instincts kick in and this partner returns to look for its mate where they were last together - in hopes of reuiniting.

      Bill Zachman

      Groveland, CA

      Tuolumne County