5385Big Al Behavior Conjecture

  • whzerd1
    Dec 28, 2012
      While driving the 260 miles home after seeing my life Laysan Albatross I puzzled about the strange annual behavior. Here's my thoughts.

      Given that this is the breeding season at Midway (told to me by one of the others at the Pier) and that Albatross mate for life, it occurred to me that perhaps the mate for this bird was "lost" in this area of the ocean in their meanderings some decades ago. Then during the breeding season the mating instincts kick in and this partner returns to look for its mate where they were last together - in hopes of reuiniting.

      Bill Zachman
      Groveland, CA
      Tuolumne County
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic