5314Long-eared Owl

  • Robert Keiffer
    Nov 21, 2012
      21 November 2012 - This morning, while awake but still in bed (Feliz Creek Road, one mile west of Hopland), I was surprised by the typical long hoot calls of a LONG-EARED OWL. At first I was thinking Northern Saw-whet Owl or vehicle backup alarm, but careful listening clarified the monotonous long-low hoots of the long-eared owl. The calling started at 5:17 AM and stopped abruptly at 5:20 AM. The nighttime rains had stopped and the skies were filled with stars at the time ...soon to be covered by thick fog. I could not pinpoint the exact location, but I believe it was coming from an oak-covered small ridge with many7 grassy openings about 1/8 mile away.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449