5305Two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers at Willits skateboard park ponds

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Nov 15, 2012
      Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012

      Dear birders,

      I birded the wastewater plant and the skateboard park in Willits this morning. A couple of interesting finds:

      At the wastewater plant (middle pond), there is a second wigeon (Male Eurasion Wigeon is still there) with a rufous head that appears to be a cross between an American Wigeon and a Eurasion Wigeon. It has a rufous head with a bit of green aroud the eye, a rufous chest and sides, and a white belly.

      At the dry ponds north of the skateboard park, I went looking for the adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that I found on the 6th, and was astonished to find a juvenile (apparent male) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hanging around with the adult male! The juvenile was calling fairly regularly, and the two would chase each other around once in a while. I found them on the east side of the southern end of the south pond. A creek (now wet) runs along the eastern side of both ponds, and they apparently forage all along the creek, north to south.

      See my previous posts to get directions to either location. Or call me on my cell at 916-214-8623.

      Good birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits