5235possible Crested Caracara

  • Robert Keiffer
    Oct 2, 2012
      2 October 2012 - Toby (Dorothy Tobkin) just reported to me that she got a long look at a possible Crested Caracara flying north off Virgin Creek Beach this morning. It was a long-ways off, one-mile-plus, west of Ten-mile Beach, but she was able to view if for some time as it angled away from her. She saw a huge amount of white on the tail, flying direct, rest of bird all dark. It was an extremely large bird, (had a Western Gull nearby for size reference) but she felt certain it was not a Bald Eagle. She asked me to post it for a "heads-up" to Northern Mendocino and Humboldt birders to keep an eye out. Good birding. Posted for Dorothy Tobkin by Bob Keiffer

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449