506Re: [Mendobirds] Reported Black-capped Chickadee - 1/1/03

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Jan 3, 2003
      I agree with you John. Most of us have thought it's just a matter of
      time before BCCH shows up in Mendo. I just didn't expect it to be that
      big of a jump the first time.

      By the way, I just received a call from Toby Tobkin and she reports that
      she was unable to relocate either the BCCH or the Swamp Sparrow this
      morning.

      Matthew Matthiessen

      >>> "John Sterling" <ani@...> 01/03/03 10:35AM >>>
      This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be
      found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county.
      Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

      Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south
      along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in
      the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian
      areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the
      past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the
      Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

      John

      John Sterling
      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 668-8694 (home office)
      530 668-1985 (home)
      916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
      916 813-1766 (cell phone)