4683PAS presents Tues 10/18: Greg Giusti on Awesome Oaks

  • choatzin
    Oct 17, 2011
      Oaks are mighty and majestic, historic and memorable, but also overlooked and ignored. Greg Giusti will tell us about these familiar trees at this month's Peregrine Audubon program on Tuesday, October 18 at 7 p.m. in the Ukiah Civic Center. Giusti says "its not about oak trees, its the oak forest, its structure and composition, which provides for multiple animal communities. It is about habitat, habitat, habitat".

      He points out that after 150 years growing hops, prunes, pears and, now, excellent grapes we are left with only remnants of the previous almost ubiquitous oak woodlands. Are these pieces still viable? What benefit are they to us? What can we do as a community? Is there a role for the individual?

      Giusti believes that we all have a part to play and education is vital. The more people who understand the importance of these forests and how they contribute to our quality of life, the better chance we have to enjoy the remaining oak woodlands for the next 150 years.

      Currently, Greg Guisti is the Forest and Wildlands Ecology Advisor in Mendocino and Lake Counties and the director of Lake County UC Cooperative Extension. He was a guest lecturer at Stanford and worked as a biologist at the Marine Ecological Institute. He has advised on many wildlife problems from bears to squirrels.

      This Peregrine Audubon sponsored presentation is free to the public, though donations will be welcome. The Ukiah Civic Center is located at 300 Seminary Avenue. To support Peregrine Audubon Society and receive a newsletter with regular announcements about programs and field trips, please send $20 to PAS, P.O. Box 311, Ukiah, CA 95482.

      Article by Roger Foote.