457Snow Bunting

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Nov 14 2:19 PM
      14 Nov. 2002 At 0845 I refound the Snow Bunting at Laguna Point,
      MacKerricher State Park. It was feeding on the northside of the boardwalk,
      sometimes in the rather tall grass, but sometimes coming out onto the open
      trail. Another birder, Peter White, had just been viewing the bird
      also. I viewed the bird for about 10 minutes when it flew to the highest
      post on the observation platform. I was able to get several photos while
      it fluffed its feathers, exercised its wings, and made a couple of
      chattering calls. After about one minute on the post it lifted its wings
      and headed south. It seemed to drop back onto the coastal bench about
      half-way to Virgin Creek Beach ... maybe about 1/8th to 1/4 mile south of
      the observation platform. I don't know if it will be back to the
      boardwalk area!

      I could NOT locate the Lapland Longspur after an hour of searching. I
      also could NOT refind the Chestnut-collared Longspur at Mendocino Headlands.

      Three Harlequin Ducks were close to the shore 100 yards south of the
      viewing platform. Two Red-necked Grebes were at the end of Ward Avenue
      (north of Mill Creek Street).

      For those of you who saw the Snow bunting please submit observation records
      to me before the end of the month for the fall period report. This is a
      CBRC review species so notes/photos are important. Thanks. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road