4548Semipalmated and Baird's Sandpipers at Virgin Creek

  • Richard
    Jul 21, 2011
      Thu July 21, 2011--This afternoon I found a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER and a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at Virgin Creek. Both are listed as extremely rare during the Summer period. The BASA was first found in the creek west of the bridge but it roamed across the beach while I was there. The SESA was found just south of the first rock outcrop north of the creek. Listed as rare during the Summer were two RUDDY TURNSTONES at Virgin Creek and one at 10 Mile. There were 4 SNOWY PLOVERS (also listed as rare during Summer) at Ten Mile Beach a short distance north of Ward Ave. where State Parks personnel were putting up plover fencing. They said they had seen 5 total earlier. None of the Plovers I saw were banded. WHIMBRELS (also listed as rare during the Summer) were plentiful at both locations and have been for sometime. There were 3 WILLETS (also listed as rare) in a group of 14 WHIMBRELS at Virgin Creek. I almost forgot the 5 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS (listed as rare) at Virgin Creek. All in all it was a really good day for shorebird.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River