452Re: [Mendobirds] Snow Bunting

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Nov 12, 2002
      As soon as I read this, I headed out to MacKerricher, where I ran into
      Toby Tobkins. We headed out together towards the deck. The bird is there
      -SNOW BUNTING, possible juvenile or female in winter plumage.

      just before the observation deck, it is taking shelter in the logs on
      the left (south) side of the boardwalk. It allowed me to approach and I
      had my digital camera, but the setting was off, so the photos I did get
      are so blurry you cannot make out a decent image of the bird. So, I will
      go later and try again, when the rain lets up a bit.

      MacKerricher is north of Fort Bragg on Highway One about three miles or
      so. Turn left at the park entrance or on Mill Creek Drive, just north of
      the entrance and across from Ricochet Ridge Ranch (horse stables). Go
      all the way to the parking area past the bridge.

      Also of note was a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER on the bluffs at the north side
      of the parking area, hanging around a Killdeer. Toby said it was unusual
      to see one on the grassy part, that they usually prefer the sand and rocks.

      The Snow Bunting is a lifer for me.

      Feather

      Robert J. Keiffer wrote:

      >11 Nov 2002 - I received this message from Richard Gage. If somebody re
      >finds this bird please call me at 707-744-1160 (hm) or 707-391-8190 (cell)
      >or 707-744-1424 (wk). please!
      >
      >I got a good look at a solitary snow bunting at the Laguna Point seal
      >observation deck at Mackerricher State Park this afternoon at about 1:30 pm
      >on Nov. 11th.
      >The bird was strolling about on the bare ground next to the observation
      >deck and gave me a great look. It was not shy at all and came within about
      >7 feet of me. I also got to observe it for some time, as it stuck around
      >for about 10 minutes. I was able to see the bird from all angles and was
      >able to make a detailed observation both through binoculars and with the
      >naked eye. A passing pedestrian eventually startled the bird and it flew
      >off northwards for about 100 feet before settling somewhere I couldn't see.
      >I had a cheap disposable camera handy and snapped several shots but I am
      >not overly optimistic that any of the pictures will be very good.
      >Thanks,
      >Richard Gage
      >

      >Robert J. Keiffer
      >Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      >UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      >4070 University Road
      >Hopland, CA 95449
      >(707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
      >HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html

      "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
      <:))))><

      Forestwalker Productions

      Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

      http://home.onemain.com/~featherf

      Proceeds help in the rehabilitation and return to the wild, of our feathered friends on the northern Calfornia coast.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic