4357Ward Ave & Ten Mile Beach 2/28

    Feb 28 8:13 PM
      Mon, 28 Feb 2011 -- I walked a good part of Ten Mile beach
      from Ward Ave, Cleone, today.  I could NOT find any SNOWY
      PLOVERS, even though Becky Bowen saw 32 SNPLs just
      two weeks ago (13 Feb).  With the hail storms, freezing temps
      and the Coast Guard riding ATVs on the beach to investigate
      a grounded boat, the Snowies must have gone into hiding.

      I did see some birds on my hike:  3 BLACK SCOTERS,
      a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, a HORNED GREBE,
      a PEREGRINE FALCON, 5 WILLETS, 4 SANDERLNGS,
      a MARSH WREN, a few BLACK TURNSTONES and
      SURFBIRDS, a couple of SAVANNAH SPARROWS and
      BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS, a RED-THROATED LOON
      and assorted gulls.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California