419White Pelicans at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Sep 29, 2002
      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 -- At about noon, Bob Keiffer, Chuck Vaughn, and I found 3
      AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS sitting on the mud off of the north boat ramp at
      Lake(bed) Mendocino. These pelicans rarely make the border crossing from
      Lake to Mendocino County, but as Lake Mendocino continues to fall, and the
      fish become more concentrated, I suspect that the lake will become
      increasingly attractive to them and some other waterbirds. At Coyote Dam we
      saw a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (perhaps the same one reported last weekend) and
      spotted (by scope) an AMERICAN AVOCET on the east shore between Miti spit
      and Perry Creek Cove. We also found LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS again on Burris
      Lane in Potter Valley, this time in a large, dead oak well north of the
      pond.
      These observations were made during the PRBO fall Big Day by the
      team representing Mendocino County. We began the day at 04:30 in Hopland
      and ended on the boardwalk at Lake Cleone at sunset. The birding began a
      little slowly after sunrise in the high chaparral at HREC as a heavy fog
      layer developed. From above it looked like it might fill the whole valley,
      but as we descended it cleared, and we slowly made up missed species. The
      Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant ponds were not very productive this year, but
      Lake Mendocino made up for that with a good variety of ducks and
      waterbirds. The coast was rather slow in the afternoon, but each area
      visited produced a few species not seen elsewhere during the day. We
      finished with 149 species, a new record for Mendocino for the fall event.
      A full list is included below.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Pacific Loon, Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Western Grebe,
      Clark's Grebe, American White Pelican, Brown Pelican, Double-crested
      Cormorant, Brandt's Cormorant, Pelagic Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Great
      Egret, Green Heron, Turkey Vulture, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Green-winged
      Teal, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern
      Shoveller, Ring-necked Duck, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Harlequin Duck,
      Surf Scoter, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Ruddy Duck, Osprey,
      White-tailed Kite, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk,
      Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk, Golden Eagle,
      American Kestrel, Wild Turkey, California Quail, Mountain Quail, Virginia
      Rail, Sora, American Coot, Black-bellied Plover, Snowy Plover, Semipalmated
      Plover, Killdeer, Black Oystercatcher, American Avocet, Greater Yellowlegs,
      Willet, Wandering Tatler, Spotted Sandpiper, Whimbrel, Black Turnstone,
      Surfbird, Sanderling, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral
      Sandpiper, Dunlin, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Snipe, Red-necked
      Phalarope, Heermann's Gull, California Gull, Western Gull, Glaucous-winged
      Gull, Common Tern, Common Murre, Cassin's Auklet, Rock Dove, Band-tailed
      Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Barn Owl, Western Screech Owl, Great Horned Owl,
      Common Poorwill, Vaux's Swift, Anna's Hummingbird, Belted Kingfisher,
      Lewis's Woodpecker, Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall's Woodpecker, Downy
      Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker, Western Wood-Pewee,
      Willow Flycatcher, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe, Hutton's Vireo, Steller's
      Jay, Western Scrub-Jay, American Crow, Common Raven, Violet-green/Tree
      Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Barn Swallow, Chestnut-backed
      Chickadee, Oak Titmouse, Bushtit, White-breasted Nuthatch, Pygmy Nuthatch,
      Brown Creeper, Bewick's Wren, Winter Wren, Marsh Wren, Golden-crowned
      Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Western Bluebird, American Robin, Wrentit,
      Northern Mockingbird, California Thrasher, European Starling, American
      Pipit, Cedar Waxwing, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped
      Warbler, Townsend's Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Spotted Towhee,
      California Towhee, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Lark Sparrow,
      Sage Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Lincoln's
      Sparrow, Golden-crowned Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco,
      Red-winged Blackbird, Western Meadowlark, Brewer's Blackbird, Brown-headed
      Cowbird, Purple Finch, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, American Goldfinch,
      House Sparrow
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic