3719Ft Bragg (MEN) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and others continue

  • Matt Brady
    Feb 2, 2010
      Hello all. Today my parents and I drove over to the coast, to look for some of the recently reported birds. At Lake Cleone, the adult male WHITE-WINGED SCOTER continues, though we could not find the Common Moorhen. Off Laguna Point were two Red-necked Grebes. Although there was a sizable flock of Surfbirds and Black Turnstones at the Point, the Rock Sandpiper was not amongst them; we didn't find it until about 3:00 (two hours after high tide) on the rocks just north of Virgin Creek Beach. Also at Virgin Creek were two Sanderlings.

      At Rose Memorial Park, at the end of Spruce Street in Fort Bragg we easily refound the adult male YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in one of the weird, yellow flowered Bottlebrush-like trees. It seemed like most of the trees had Sapsucker wells in them, but we first saw the bird in one of the two shorter trees at the north end of the cemetery that flank a large headstone that reads 'Jordan'. He also frequented several of the pines. He was quite flighty, and I only managed to get some distant record shots, but I think I surprised him when I first found him. Also of note at the cemetery were an Orange-crowned Warbler and an SY male Bullock's Oriole, probably the same one found by Jerry White a few weeks ago. Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley