3315Common Moorhens at Mendocino College

  • George Chaniot
    Jun 1, 2009
      Mon, 01 Jun 2009 -- Having some time to kill at Mendocino College this
      afternoon, I went to the "Rail Pond" to take a look. I was surprised to
      find a COMMON MOORHEN. I have not seen them there since late March. As I
      was watching the bird at the east end of the pond, I heard another calling
      from the cattails on the south side. I presume that these are the same two
      birds that wintered here. During the 50 minutes that I watched the pond I
      had a moorhen in view less than 10% of the time. I heard them call about 10
      times.
      Having two birds in the right habitat at the right time of year is the
      lowest level evidence of possible nesting. This bears further observation
      since I don't believe there is a Mendocino breeding record to date.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic