3162Coast gull report, 2/16 a.m.

  • David Jensen
    Feb 16, 2009
      16 February 2009. Karen Havelena and I tried to find the possible Slaty-backed Gull in downtown Fort Bragg, which was reported by Jerry White yesterday, but missed the morning popcorn handout outside the theater. Weather conditions were improved this morning (occasional heavy showers but little wind) and there were few gulls to be found in the downtown area. The first cycle Glaucous Gull was at the northwest corner of Todd's Point again today.

      At Van Damme beach we found a Black-legged Kittiwake resting on the beach. We were unable to locate an Iceland Gull, although there were many young Glaucous-winged Gulls. Again, the total number of Gulls was lower today. Same story at Navarro, but without the Kittiwake. Less than 75 gulls, mostly Western Gulls, Glaucous-winged, California and Mew.