304Ukiah 3/25

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Mar 25, 2002
      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 -- Chuck Vaughn and I birded a number of places in the
      Ukiah area this morning. A number of migrants are returning. At the Ukiah
      Sewage Treatment Plant there was a GREATER YELLOWLEGS and a LONG-BILLED
      DOWITCHER among the varied waterfowl. This is probably the earliest local
      record for LBDO. It was totally in worn, basic plumage. At the south launch
      at Lake Mendocino there was a BONAPARTE'S GULL and a BARN SWALLOW, and a
      ROCK WREN was near marker 007 on Coyote Dam. Scoping across the lake we
      could see a pair of OSPREYS sitting on a nest on the platform north of
      Perry Creek Cove. I believe that this is the first time this platform has
      been used since it was put up some years ago. We drove up Low Gap Road and
      heard BLUE GROUSE booming near the second cattle guard. An AMERICAN DIPPER
      was singing by the nest under the bridge on Potter Valley Road. On the 23rd
      I saw a dipper carrying a mouthfull of stoneflies into the nest, but I
      couldn't tell if it was feeding nestlings, a mate, or itself.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley. MEN, CA