270Long-eared Owl

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Feb 3, 2002
      Decided to get an early start on my Superbowl celebrations this morning
      (Sun Feb 3) by doing some owling up Low Gap Rd. It was rather foggy but
      still ended up being a productive morning. Best bird was a LONG-EARED
      OWL at 1.5 miles above Pine Ridge Rd (all mileages will be from Pine
      Ridge Rd). Unfortunately the bird only called three times.
      Surprisingly, the first owl of the morning was a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL I
      coaxed into responding to my whistles (1.0 mile). As is often the case
      with saw-whets, it took a while to get started, but once warmed up there
      was no stopping it. I think it was still calling as I drove away. Had
      my first WESTERN SCREETCH-OWL at 1.5 miles (with the LEOW). At 1.7
      miles I had another NSWO and WESO). At 2.5 miles I heard my one and
      only NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL. The morning was capped off with a PILEATED
      WOODPECKER calling just below the gap shortly after dawn (not an owl but
      we'll still count it).

      Good Owling
      Matthew Matthiessen
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic