2542South and North Coast Birds

    Jan 2, 2008
      Hi-- Jim and I birded the SW corner of MEN County for the last three
      days. We did NOT see the adult Bald Eagle at Gualala River nor any
      interesting gulls at the river mouth. We DID see "Al" the Laysan
      Albatross at Point Arena this morning along with a young Gray Whale
      that has been in the cove for a few days.
      We also spent at least 5 hours over 3 days at the Garcia River flats and
      the surrounding area searching for the Cattle Egret that has been around
      for at least a week. Finally, we DID see it. (Note to Bob = 297).

      Here north of the Ten Mile River, the Harris's Sparrow has NOT been seen
      since early last Friday, 12/28. It should still be around, unless it has
      been captured by a neighbor cat. Its independence in the last two weeks
      has worried me. It has not been hanging out with the flock at all. One
      of the last times I saw it, it was sitting on the neighbor's low fence about
      six feet away from me, letting me get a good, long look at it.

      As of Sunday, the Cal Towhee and the White-throated were still here.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile Area - North of Fort Bragg, CA