239Laguna Point Seawatch - Sun Dec 2

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Dec 3, 2001
      When God created scopes, he probably had a day like yesterday in mind.
      The wind at Laguna Point was blowing hard (my guess was at least 35 mph)
      out of the southwest and the waves were huge. During the three hours I
      spent scoping, a veritable cornucopia of pelagics put in appearances.
      SOOTY SHEARWATERS were present in large numbers. Everywhere I pointed
      the scope, sooties were swooping up above the horizon. Mixed in with
      the sooties was at least two SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATERS. Other tubenoses
      present were one BULLER'S SHEARWATER and two PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS.
      There were several additional "white-bellied" shearwaters I was unable
      to ID but surprisingly, no fulmars.

      On the larid front, I had one dark-morph POMARINE JAEGER and two
      light-morph PARASITIC JAEGER fly-bys. There were also four BLACK-LEGGED
      KITTIWAKES and one first winter THAYER'S GULL.

      Alcids were particularly entertaining. Any alcid flying south had to
      work much harder than normal. The wings were a blur but the body didn't
      make much headway. As a result, I got leisurely looks at two ANCIENT
      MURRELETS as they worked their way south. Finally, there were two ROCK
      SANDPIPERS on the rocks just off the point.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen

      Birds of interest

      Red-throated Loon - 3