2299Miscellaneous

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Jul 11, 2007
      I was on the coast for a couple of days recently and saw a few
      things of interest to me. On July 8 there was a TUFTED PUFFIN on the water
      north of the Mendocino Headlands and a RHINOCEROS AUKLET with a horn pretty
      close to shore in the same area. On July 9 there was a MARBLED MURRELET
      just south of Laguna Point, and three MARBLED GODWITS flew north across the
      point. On July 9 there was a male PURPLE MARTIN at the parking area for
      Caspar Cemetery landing on the dead tree with an Osprey nest just to the
      east of the road.
      In Potter Valley LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES continue to come to my
      feeders daily, and I have been seeing a few at other locations around the
      valley where I have never seen them before. They are quite the phenomenon
      in Potter Valley this summer. I see that they are being reported in
      Humboldt and Del Norte counties too.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA