1968Miner Hole Road/Garcia River

  • Bob Keiffer
    Oct 1, 2006
      1 October 2006 - Sunday - This morning I birded Miner Hole Road and the Garcia River to the mouth in hopes of finding fall migrant vagrants. I had all the usual warblers including two Nashville Warblers, but none of the more unusual vagrant warblers. There was a bobcat in the flats and a coyote barking from the river area. River highlights including a nice mature Peregrine Falcon perched on a snag near the mouth and a lone Brant. Shorebirds included a Pectoral Sandpiper, a Greater Yellowlegs, 16 Marbled Godwits, 5 Long-billed Dowitchers, 50 Dunlin, many Least Sandpipers, Western Sandpipers, and Sanderlings. Also there were 20 Plack-bellied Plovers and 6 Semipalmated Plovers. I find it enjoyable to walk to the mouth of the Garcia from the end of Miner Hole Road by wearing shorts and sandals and wading across the river in a couple places ...it seems much closer than walking down Manchester Beach with a greater variety of birds.

      There were about 200 Brown Pelicans resting and bathing near the mouth of Elk Creek (the 200 acre parcel which is for sale). Good birding. Bob Keiffer