1907Great-tailed Grackle

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Aug 25, 2006
      Friday Aug 25 * This afternoon at 17:50 Chuck Vaughn and I found a GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE in Albion. We were driving south on Hwy 1 and the bird was flying north. It perched in a tree just east of Hwy 1 on the south side of the Albion River. The bird then few and perched briefly on the east railing of the Hwy 1 bridge over the Albion River. Finally, the bird flew to the group of eucalyptus trees at the northwest end of the bridge. By driving a short distance up the airport road that T's into Hwy 1 at the northeast end of the bridge we could observe the grackle perched in the top of one of these eucalyptus trees. The bird was still there when we left. This is only the second or third record for GTGR in Mendocino County.

      Good Birding.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic