1656possible Snowy Owl

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Mar 3, 2006
      Friday - March 3, 2006 - I just received a late notice about a strange owl
      in Round Valley north of the town of Covelo. The bird was seen by a
      local, casual birder who knows most of the local birds of Round Valley
      ...including barn owls. It was seen last Thursday or Friday (February 23
      or 24) at 2:00 in the afternoon. It was on the ground of a field and flew
      up and over some trees in farm land by the time the observer grabbed her
      binoculars. Her report to me initially said, "Owl - flying at far edge of
      our field. Very large like a Great Horned but almost white". With this
      last winter being an eruption year for Snowy Owls ... I really believe that
      there is a high probability of this bird being a Snowy Owl ...which would
      be Mendocino County's first. If anyone has a chance to look for this bird
      in Round Valley this weekend we might get lucky and confirm this
      sighting. The owl was seen on the north end of the valley in farm fields
      as viewed from Miner Road and about one mile or less before Hwy 162 heads
      up over the pass (Mendocino Pass). thanks and good birding.

      If anyone finds this bird please call me immediately ...Bob Keiffer cell
      707-391-8190 or 707-744-1160

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center