160Buff-breasted Sandpiper

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Sep 1, 2001
      Greetings Mendobirders: Early this afternoon George Chaniot, Matthew
      Matthiesson, and I found a juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Ten Mile
      Beach at the northern end of McKerricher SP north of Fort Bragg. The bird
      was seen about 0.5 miles south of the main access to the beach from where
      the old Haul Road runs parallel to Ten Mile River. It was feeding on
      amphipods along the kelp rack which had washed up on the beach. It was
      very approachable and still there when we left.

      Of local interest were 2 Long-billed Curlews, also along Ten Mile beach,
      and 12 Elegant Terns seen feeding near-shore off Laguna Point.

      Chuck Vaughn

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482