1501N Pygmy Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Yellow Warbler & Marbled Murrelets

    Nov 1, 2005
      This afternoon, I drove up Hwy 1. At around 2:30 PM, I parked on the
      NE side of Howard Creek bridge. The sun was breaking through the clouds,
      bringing a good-sized flock out into the open. A late Cassin's Vireo fed
      amongst the Townsend's Warblers, Hutton's Vireos, etc. I then walked
      out onto the bridge just above the creek.
      A large flock of Yellow-rumps, chickadees, kinglets, and a late Yellow
      Warbler were quite agitated and began mobbing, to my delight, a
      Northern Pygmy Owl. The pygmy owl flew occasionally from perch to
      perch, each time moving closer to the bridge - and me. Great looks!

      Then, I went to Juan and Hardy Creeks. Nothing of note at Juan Creek,
      but a close-knit group of 5 Marbled Murrelets were off the cove at Hardy
      Creek at about 3:30.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg