1359Purple Martin

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Jun 28, 2005
      Tues - 28 June 2005 - The pair of purple martins nesting in the power
      transmission pole at UC-HREC are still present, apparently feeding
      young. The adults forage out-of-view of the nest site ... at least far
      enough away to where I lose track of them through binoculars/ridge
      horizons. I watched the male arrive at the nest and the female immediately
      left to forage. The male emerged to forage five minutes later. We are
      working with PG&E to erect a set of nest boxes nearby (based upon Purple
      Martin Conservation Assoc. standards) in hopes of establishing a colony
      next year (assuming that progeny and associates will visit the site next
      year). Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center