1199Re: Tufted Duck in Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Feb 27, 2005
      I briefly stopped by Borax Lake with a group of
      students this afternoon (27 February) on our way back
      from Sacramento NWR. The scaup flock was close to
      shore on the east side of the lake and it took me
      about 5 minutes to relocate the TUFTED DUCK. But the
      flock was moving around so quickly and it was
      drizzling so I quickly gave up trying to show it to
      students, who by then had seen enough birds for the
      day.

      It amazes me how few gulls on Clear Lake perch on the
      numerous docks (very few yesterday afternoon), but
      surprisingly a few hundred perched on several docks
      scattered around Clearlake while it was raining this
      afternoon (is Clear Lake gulling best in the rain?). I
      scanned them only briefly and found four first-cycle
      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS and two first-cycle and one
      adult THAYER'S GULLS. I now suspect the "probable
      first-basic WESTERN GULL" I reported a few weeks ago
      was a thick-billed HERRING GULL, possibly the same
      individual present last weekend which I took photos
      of.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic