1039Lake Mendocino 9/30

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Sep 30, 2004
      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 -- It was too foggy at Lake Mendocino this morning for me
      to do my usual survey, but there were some interesting birds to be found.
      The water level continues to fall about a foot a week and more muddy edges
      are appearing. Near the south marina there was a WILSON'S SNIPE on the mud,
      a pretty unusual bird at the lake. The juvenile Greater White-fronted Goose
      which has been there several weeks has fallen into bad company with the
      resident greylag thugs and may be there for some time. On the mud emerging
      near the north marina there were 9 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 8 dowitchers
      including at least two LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, 12 LEAST SANDPIPERS, a
      GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and a juvenile SANDERLING. The latter may be a first
      record for the lake. Does anyone remember any other inland Mendocino
      records of Sanderling?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA