Re: [MemorialShip] Shield Blanks

  • Saint Phlip
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
      I'm just thinking that Serena would be thrilled at doing something
      that could help her beloved SCA, even after death ;-) And, having run
      a restaurant for many years, the salt dough would be appropriate.

      My thought, though, is to just try making the dough shield. I think I
      might make one here at home, and put it in a campfire in the back. I
      was thinking of the ship burning as a full test, salt dough, paint,
      and all.

      On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Fred Blonder
      <dr.e.henry.thripshaw@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Saint Phlip <SaintPhlip@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> OK, great. I think, however, we need a burn test. I don't know if it
      >> would work here, in CT- our humidity is ridiculous- bad enough that I
      >> frequently can't work with chocolate. Pennsic is fortunately dryer.
      >
      > Well, my reason for making one and putting it on the ship was that that
      > would BE the burn test, but I suppose I can make a few and burn-test a
      > couple in a campfire. If the result isn't satisfactory, you can do a regular
      > wooden shield. Of course, the result may be different as things tend to
      > get a bit wonky in proximity to the water.

      Saint Phlip

      So, you think your data is safe?
      http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/index.html?hpt=T2

      Heat it up
      Hit it hard
      Repent as necessary.

      Priorities:

    • Meghan Roberts
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
        Totally worth a try, I think.  If it works well, it's a good medium for small memorials other than sheilds, too.

        The recipy I have does not bake well, so I won't send it.

        -Unnr

        On 9 July 2012 01:11, Fred Blonder <dr.e.henry.thripshaw@...> wrote:

        Today, Bruce Blackistone and I cut out 16 more shield blanks, giving
        us a total of 42.
        I drilled out the center holes in all of them, and finished 29 of them.

        With the 13 Unnr found, we should have plenty.

        It occurred to me, that another possible approach, would be to make
        the shields of salt-dough.
        This would mean we could cut them out with a regular cookie-cutter,
        and bake them in the oven.
        We could also probably mold-in the shield-boss, and the wire used to
        attach them to the ship.

        They ought tot burn well with the the flour, and the sodium should
        give a nice yellow flame.
        I'm thinking of making just one salt-dough shield to put on the ship
        this year, as an experiment,
        to see how it works. It >>MIGHT<< be less work than making them out
        of wood, but i'm not sure.

        --
        March 2010:  Wrapped around the Dwarves; Cloaks as a fundamental part
        of viking age dress, paper to be presented at University of St.

        March 2010: Session Organizer:  Habits of Mind, how tools affect thinking.  Forward into the Past 20.
      • dr.e.henry.thripshaw@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2012
          I just finished up the blanks, so I'm bringing 42 of them to Pennsic.

          Also: I bought salt & flour to experiment with.

          I suppose I ought to make several thicknesses of shields to see what the best tradeoff is between structural strength versus the desire to have it burn quickly.

          Also, I'm a tad worried that the salt-dough may absorb too much moisture. Maybe I ought to also bring a spray can of clear lacquer.