Update 1

  • mognudr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
      The strong back is set up and ready to go. I will begin bending ribs tomorrow. My 2 year old is eager to help, seems shockingly knowledgable, and may be better at this than I am before long.

      Garvig says the wood is mostly cut and will be driving it up soon. Once it's here, I can lay the keel.

      Fred is cutting shields.

      The sail will be for Tancred.

      ---
      Jobs that need to be filled:

      1) Figure head carver: Experienced carver to made a figure head, which should be ready and at Pennsic by about Monday of the second week.

      2) Finshing touches: people with rudimentary woodworking experience to help wire on shields, fix mememtos that might slide off, and help out with the final rigging. Throughout Pennsic, but mainly the last days before the burning.

      3) Presenters: people to stand by the ship and direct people to the sheilds & paints, answer questions, take donations for the chirurgeons, etc. This is a small time committment, and really crucial. I had trouble eating on the day of the burning last year, and this year I will be 6 mos pregnant. A couple of people to spell me off for a half hour here and there, and I can *not faint* durring the burning. Day of the burning, but if someone wants to at other times, that might be good too.

      4) Launch team: Probably Fred and one other. People who aren't affraid of the Lake, are reliable, and can attend the rehersal. The second from last year was great, but I haven't contacted him yet about this year.
      ---

      Ok, I think that's it. If you know anyone else who would be interested in being on the list, has questions, or would like to help out, please invite them, direct them to me, or whatever else seems appropriate.

      Thanks!
      -Unnr
    • Fred Blonder
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM, mognudr <magnunnr@...> wrote:
        > . . . My 2 year old is eager to help, seems shockingly knowledgable,
        > and may be better at this than I am before long.

        He obviously figures the boat is the right size for him to go sailing in. ;-)

        > Fred is cutting shields.

        Oh, uh, right.

        > 3) Presenters: people to stand by the ship and direct people to the
        > sheilds & paints, answer questions, take donations for the
        > chirurgeons, etc. . . .

        I already contacted the Heralds. They say they do NOT have the resources to
        do this at Herald's Point.

        I still don't have an answer from Herveus.

        Note that there's some question (that wasn't resolved last year) as to what
        to do with the money. The Chirurgeons don't actually need the money
        at Pennsic since they're fully funded, and would prefer to use the money
        for non-Pennsic events. We may need to discus this with them early in
        the War. Last year, when I dropped the money off, they were sort
        of flummoxed as to what to do with it.

        > 4) Launch team: Probably Fred and one other.

        I agree. Two is about right.

        > . . . and can attend the rehersal.

        I've been thinking for several years that a rehearsal would be a good idea.

        > The second from last year was great, but I haven't contacted him
        > yet about this year.

        The second what? Sorry, I don't follow you.

        And we need to get in touch with Ajax at the start of war.
      • Colleen Coil
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
          Greetings!

          3) Presenters: people to stand by the ship and direct people to the sheilds & paints, answer questions, take donations for the chirurgeons, etc. This is a small time committment, and really crucial. I had trouble eating on the day of the burning last year, and this year I will be 6 mos pregnant. A couple of people to spell me off for a half hour here and there, and I can *not faint* durring the burning. Day of the burning, but if someone wants to at other times, that might be good too.

          I will be at Pennsic all of war and would like to help out with this.

          Muirgel

        • Meghan Roberts
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
            > I already contacted the Heralds. They say they do NOT have the resources to
            > do this at Herald's Point.

            Ok.
            Speaking of which, we need to get something into the paper a little
            earlier this year.

            On displaying the ship: We can display it at Enchanted ground early
            in war, but at some point it would be good to have it up in the
            marketplace, and then the stave-church for the day of the burning. It
            was going to be at Tancreds, but I don't know what plans have been
            made for his shop. It seems most likely that it will not be open this
            year. I could ask Folo, but I'm not sure it's the right atmosphere...
            Anyone have good merchant connections for something like this?

            > I still don't have an answer from Herveus.

            Blanking on the name??

            > Note that there's some question (that wasn't resolved last year) as to what
            > to do with the money. The Chirurgeons don't actually need the money
            > at Pennsic since they're fully funded, and would prefer to use the money
            > for non-Pennsic events. We may need to discus this with them early in
            > the War. Last year, when I dropped the money off, they were sort
            > of flummoxed as to what to do with it.

            Right, and there was a problem with applying it elsewhere because of
            organizational stuff or something like that... Can we just bring it
            home and donate it to them after the fact? I will ask Garwig his
            oppinion... don't think he's on here.

            > > The second from last year was great, but I haven't contacted him
            > > yet about this year.
            >
            > The second what? Sorry, I don't follow you.

            Second Launch person. It was Paul the dancerlast year & I thought he
            was very easy to deal with and had a good way about him. I'd like to
            ask him again, if you're good with that.

            -Unnr
          • Meghan Roberts
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
              Great!

              (sigh of relief)
              :)
              -Unnr

              Greetings!

              --
              March 2010:  Wrapped around the Dwarves; Cloaks as a fundamental part
              of viking age dress, paper to be presented at University of St.

              March 2010: Session Organizer:  Habits of Mind, how tools affect thinking.  Forward into the Past 20.
            • Fred Blonder
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
                On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Meghan Roberts <magnunnr@...> wrote:

                > Speaking of which, we need to get something into the paper a little
                > earlier this year.

                Agreed.

                > On displaying the ship: We can display it at Enchanted ground early
                > in war, but at some point it would be good to have it up in the
                > marketplace, and then the stave-church for the day of the burning. It
                > was going to be at Tancreds, but I don't know what plans have been
                > made for his shop. It seems most likely that it will not be open this
                > year. I could ask Folo, but I'm not sure it's the right atmosphere...
                > Anyone have good merchant connections for something like this?
                >
                > > I still don't have an answer from Herveus.
                >
                > Blanking on the name??

                Michael Houghton (Clan Cambion). He runs the shop "White Wolf
                and the Phoenix". I can bug him again.

                > . . . Can we just bring it
                > home and donate it to them after the fact? I will ask Garwig his
                > oppinion... don't think he's on here.

                I sent him an invite, but I didn't see him join.

                You may have noticed that I've made you a moderator, so you'll see
                when people join or drop off the list.

                > > > The second from last year was great, but I haven't contacted him
                > > > yet about this year.
                > >
                > > The second what? Sorry, I don't follow you.
                >
                > Second Launch person. It was Paul the dancerlast year & I thought he
                > was very easy to deal with and had a good way about him. I'd like to
                > ask him again, if you're good with that.

                I was never introduced, didn't know his name and didn't actually
                speak with him much. I'm fine with working with him again as long as you are.

                I think I'll rake the lake again; that worked pretty well.