Fwd: [Ecovillages Newsletter] Latest issue of Ecovillages newsletter is now online

  • Laimis Žmuida
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2011

      Atsiprašau, kad angliškai, bet kam reikia, tas supras. :)

      Laimis Žmuida
      www.ekonaujienos.lt

      Hello,
      Here is the latest issue of Ecovillages newsletter, with 4 articles — see each below — on ecovillage projects in Mexico, Scandinavia, and California — and a special feature by ecocities activist and author Richard Register.
      Thank you again for subscribing, and . . . Happy New Year!

      Diana Leafe Christian
      Earthaven Ecovillage, North Carolina, US

      Indigenous Past, Ecovillage Future  By Tracy L. Barnett

      San Isidro Mazatepec, Jalisco, Mexico. Past, present, and future meet at Teopantli Kalpulli, an ecovillage-like intentional community on 92 acres about an hour south of Guadalajara.
      Teopantli Kalpulli is a Nahuatl phrase loosely translated as "sacred bioregional village." The community was founded in the early 1970s to create an earth-centered lifestyle incorporating the sacred traditions of the founders’ indigenous ancestors. With 21 families, Teopantli Kalpulli has become Mexico’s largest continually inhabited intentional community.
               I visited Teopantli Kalpulli during harvest season and colorful native corn was spread on the ground to dry. My guide was Levi Rios, son of two of Teopantli’s founders and an architect who had come home to live in the community. Read More

      Ecovillages in Scandinavia, Part II:
      Are Ecovillages Large Enough to Influence Mainstream Culture?  By Etienne Gernez

      In the spring of 2009 six other young Europeans and I went on the road for three months to videotape our visits to ecovillages in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. We called our project One Step Beyond. We wanted to know not only how ecological practices in ecovillages could reach a wider audience, but also how people could benefit from these innovations and take “one step beyond” towards making their own lives more ecologically sustainable.
      In this article I'll describe our visits to Svanholm and Munksøgård ecovillages in Denmark, and the ecocity-like neighborhood of Augustenborg in Malmö, Sweden. Read More

      The Best Things I Learned as an Ecovillage Intern, Part I   By Dawn Smith

      When I first arrived at Occidental Art and Ecology Center (OAEC) in Northern California at the age of 24, I had no idea how profoundly my life was about to change. I had applied for OAEC’s maintenance intern position primarily because I wanted to expand my skills in maintenance and repair and construction, which I’d learned growing up on a farm in Alberta and spending four summers doing strawbale construction. I also wanted exposure to a more holistic experience of sustainable living. Read More

      Richard Register on EcoCities and Ecovillages

      Richard: I have seen some “regular” villages, not self-consciously ecovillages, that are extremely compact. In China with multi-family dwellings in the three-story range; in Turkey and Nepal in the six-story range — with natural, grazing, and/or agricultural land or waters immediately next door. The walls of city buildings right up against open space. And at the ecovillage Torri Superiore in Italy, a group of permaculture designers hoping to create a ecovillage purchased this almost single-structure hyper-compact small village. It looks fascinating. Read More

      -----Infogad bilaga följer-----