Fr. Danko's commentary on Our Lady's November 25, 2008 message

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2008
      Fr. Danko's commentary on Our Lady's November 25, 2008 message

      by the Information Center in Medjugorje.

      --------------------------------

      PRAY FOR THIS TURBULENT WORLD WITHOUT HOPE

      "Dear children! Also today I call you, in this time of grace, to pray
      for little Jesus to be born in your heart. May He, who is peace
      itself, give peace to the entire world through you. Therefore, little
      children, pray without ceasing for this turbulent world without hope,
      so that you may become witnesses of peace for all. May hope begin to
      flow through your hearts as a river of grace. Thank you for having
      responded to my call." Message of November 25, 2008

      Advent has been called the time of grace since the very beginning of
      Christian tradition, as it is the time when the love of God is
      particularly efficient in making our faith stronger and inspiring us
      to be holy. In her last message Our Lady calls us to pray for little
      Jesus to be born in our hearts in this time of grace. There is also
      another reason to call the time we live in a time of grace: Our Lady
      has been near us in a very special way for over 27 years. Throughout
      all this time she has been teaching us in her school of love. In her
      last message she calls us again to pray as she often calls us to do so
      because she knows that we do not pray. We are all making a big
      mistake, and that is that we think we pray a lot and that we are good.
      The very moment when we realise and accept that it is not so, our
      conversion will start. John of Damascus says: «To pray is to lift your
      heart to the Lord». It means enjoying the closeness to God, His
      presence, love and peace. In recent times the world has been caught
      in a turmoil and all the leading countries have been faced with a
      financial crisis. The man of today is restless. Always in a hurry, but
      unable to catch up, which makes him feel even more uneasy. He is
      searching for peace in all the wrong places. Our Lady shows us the way
      to peace. It is Her Son and Our Lord Jesus Christ. In the Gospel of
      John he says: «Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not
      give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and
      do not be afraid.» (John 14:27). Those who have God have everything.
      Those who have encountered God become carriers of the peace of Christ.

      Our Lady calls us to pray without ceasing for this turbulent world
      without hope. Hope is a theological virtue that makes us desire the
      Kingdom of Heaven and eternal life as the sources of our happiness
      when we place faith in the promises of Christ and relying not on our
      own forces, but on the help coming from the grace of the Holy Spirit.
      „Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised
      is faithful" (Hebrews 10:23). The Holy Spirit „whom he poured on us
      generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that having been
      justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of
      eternal life" (Titus 3:6-7), as we read in the Catechism (cf. CCC
      1817). Thanks to hope it is easier for us to deal with everyday
      problems. Redemption is offered to us in the sense that we have been
      given hope, trustworthy hope, by virtue of which we can face our
      present: the present, even if it is arduous, can be lived and accepted
      if it leads towards a goal, if we can be sure of this goal, and if
      this goal is great enough to justify the effort of the journey, as
      Pope Benedict XVI teaches us in his Encyclical Saved in Hope.

      In this short commentary of the message we will remember the eighth
      death anniversary of the late Fr. Slavko Barbaric. Fr. Slavko was
      devoted to Our Lady in a true childlike manner. He was tireless in his
      ministry. He was always ready to offer help to anyone asking for it,
      either in a spiritual or material way. We will include him in our
      prayers by thanking the Lord for having given us the chance of knowing
      him and at the same time learning from him.

      Fr. Danko Perutina
      Medugorje 26/11/2008